Legio I Parthica


The symbol of the Legio I Parthica was the centaur, represented on the back of this coin minted in Singara by Gordian III.

The Legio I Parthica (First Legion "of Parthia") was a Roman legion, created in 197 by the emperor Septimio Severo. The presence of the legion in the Middle East is registered until the beginning of the fifth century.

Legions I, II and III Parthicae were created by Septimius Severus for his second campaign against the Parthian Empire. Following the success of this campaign, the I Parthica, along with the III Parthica, remained in the region, in the Singara camp (Sinjar, Iraq), in Mesopotamia, to reinforce the Eastern limes against possible attacks of the births. / p>

Legionaries of the I Parthica were sent to other provinces such as Lycia, Cilicia and Cyrenaica.

In 360, the I Parthica unsuccessfully defended its camp against an attack by the Sassanids; after the defeat, the legion was transferred to Nisibis (modern Turkey), where it remained still stationed in the late fifth century, disappearing in the military reorganization promoted by the emperors Justino and Justinian. Bibliography

wiki

Popular Posts