The testament of Pius XII was signed by Pope Pius XII on May 15, 1956, fifteen months before his death. Unlike the documents of his predecessor Pope Pius X and his successor Pope John Paul II, it is a very short document, in which names, details and denominations of individual material goods are omitted.

Supporters of Pope Pius XII see the testament as a testimony of his modesty and spiritual holiness. He has been cited at the commemorative events in his honor and is allegedly part of the documentation of his ongoing process of beatification in Rome .

The first sentence in Latin: Miserere mei, God, secundum (magnam) misericordiam tuam (Have mercy on me, O God, according to your great mercy, Psalm 50). When the Pope pronounced these words after his election on March 2, 1939, the word magnam was a part of the aforementioned Psalm. However, the new 1956 translation left this word. To keep coherence with both versions, Pope Pius put the term (magnam) in brackets. Text

on me, O God, according to the (grand) kindly face These words, which, conscious of my indignity and insufficiency, I pronounced at that moment, in which I accepted the election as pope with fear, I repeat now with even greater justification, because I am more aware of my unworthiness and inadequacy after the deficiencies and errors during such a long pontificate and such a grave time. I humbly ask forgiveness of all those whom I have hurt, hurt or bothered with word or deed.

I ask those to whom the matter competes, not worry about monuments to my memory. It is enough that my poor remains are buried in a sacred place, the more hidden the better. It is not necessary to ask prayers for my soul. I know how many prayers are the custom of the Apostolic See, and of the piety of the faithful, for every Pope who dies. Nor is it necessary for me to leave a "spiritual testament," as so many jealous prelates laudably did. The numerous writings and speeches that I have published or issued during the exercise of my office, suffice, for those who like to know my thoughts on different issues of religion and ethics.

That said, I name as my universal heir to the Holy Apostolic See, from which I received as much as from a loving mother

May 15, 1956 Signature of Pius XII.

wiki

Popular Posts